Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Morning Times

Independent Weekly published an article on RTP's coffee and tea scenes in its 3.16.11 edition. This is where Jonathan stumbled upon The Morning Times, and brought it to my attention. So on Saturday we set out to try yet another coffee joint...

The Morning Times is located in downtown Raleigh and I was thankful we did not venture here on a weekday! Nothing upsets me more than having to pay for parking or parallel parking during heavy traffic. The Morning Times is nestled in the building that once housed the Raleigh Times syndicate, providing a nostalgic atmosphere. The store front is quaint with only a few tables and the ordering counter. The atmosphere inside is casual and cozy. I especially loved the "In" and "Out" doors. There is nothing more obnoxious in small downtown restaurants, than people cramming to get in and out. The breakfast menu is small, but eclectic. I ordered the Huevos Rancheros Burrito. Jonathan ordered the Egg and Cheese Biscuit. We decided to split a scone, which was from 9th Street Bakery in Durham. Of course, it is obligatory when going to a coffee house, to actually try the coffee. Like many of the coffee houses we enjoy, The Morning Times serves Counter Culture Coffee. I want to point out that although many places serve Counter Culture Coffee in RTP, not all use the same brewing techniques and thus the quality of the coffee is affected. The Morning Times brews an excellent cup of coffee, albeit with a little cream and sugar added. Next time I will try their Mocha, as I am always in search of the best mocha (Stumptown's Mocha rates highest). Being new to the joint I needed some guidance on where to sit, what to order, and how to retrieve my food. The gentleman at the counter was more than courteous in helping me figure all of these particulars out, and not in that yuppyish "I am better than you" manner. His genuine sincerity and niceness made me immediately love The Morning Times. However, as my previous post indicated there are two components to a great meal: great food and great people. So on to the food...

9th Street Bakery Blueberry Scone
Perfect balance of butter, sweetness, and blueberries. A fabulous scone!
Egg and Cheese Biscuit
Since this was Jonathan's order, I am sorry to say my review won't be very descriptive. Jonathan's only response was, "Why don't our biscuits at home taste like that?" My only response to this could be "butter." Anyone who makes old fashioned southern biscuits knows that butter is the key. The biscuits I make at home lack butter. Perhaps one weekend I will attempt to make southern style biscuits, and forget about the added fat from adding too much butter. Jonathan was very happy with his choice and was even happier with the price, $2.50! 
Huevos Rancheros Burrito
Very tasty! My only complaint would be that there is something quintessential to Huevos Rancheros having poached eggs and hot sauce. I feel like perhaps this burrito should have been labeled "Breakfast" and not "Huevos Rancheros." Huevos Rancheros require a crunch, running egg yolk, and hot sauce. This is not to say that the burrito was not delicious, it was, but it just didn't quiet have the Huevos Rancheros taste to it. All that needs to be done to improve this burrito is change the name and serve it with some good quality hot sauce, preferably Cholula.

Overall, I was extremely satisfied with my first trip to The Morning Times. I would love to come here for a mid-morning lunch and try the mock chicken curry salad sandwich, with a large cup of Counter Culture Coffee, and perhaps (just perhaps) a mocha to boot!


Up next is my own attempt at making Huevos Rancheros!

No comments:

Post a Comment