Sunday, April 10, 2011

Caffe Driade

I talked in my The Morning Times post about Independent Weekly's recent publication focusing on the coffee and tea venues RTP has to offer. In an effort to find the best mocha, expand my palate, and try new places we ventured to Caffe Driade in Chapel Hill. I will be upfront and let you know now that this post will be succinct. Caffe Driade lacks both great people and great food. The only thing that Caffe Driade has to offer is that in the spring and summer it would be a fabulous place to mingle, read, and relax. When I went to order it seemed as though neither barista really felt like being there. There are two things which totally ruin a food experience for me. One: when the service is over-the-top Southern Hospitality (my meal was fine the first five times you asked, I don't think it will change the sixth time). Two: when the people serving you feel as though they are owed something for doing their job (how about I buy an overpriced drink from you, and you get a paycheck). Of the two ruinations, Caffe Driade is the later. In some cases great food can gloss over awful people, but in the case of Caffe Driade the mocha did not prove to be their saving grace. Of the many mochas I have tasted from West Coast to East Coast, Caffe Driade's ranks amongst the worst (Starbuck's "mocha" would rate higher). I was really excited to try something other than Counter Culture coffee in my mocha, as Caffe Driade serves Carrboro Coffee Roasters, but with a dull tasting mocha I found it hard to concentrate on the espresso. In consultation with Jonathan (who ordered a plain latte with regular milk, since they were conveniently out of soy milk) we decided that the espresso was not bad, but lended itself to the milder side of espresso, and we are more accustomed to, and prefer bolder espresso. Perhaps if Caffe Driade did a combination of things: had an attitude adjustment and could pull a great tasting shot of espresso into a flavorful mocha, I would return. But I find it hard to want to spend another $4.25 to find out, when I can go up the road to 3Cups and have my never disappointing mocha.

 My Mocha
Given that it was rainy and cold (Portlandesque) when we went to Caffe Driade, I could not get a better photo to show how eco-chic the place was. The outside was actually very warm and inviting. If only the service matched.

No comments:

Post a Comment